The Courthouse occupies a block of the Historical Center of Zaragoza, the one delimited by Plaza del Pilar, Plaza de Convertidos and Prudencio and Virgen streets. It consists of six buildings: the original building, designed by Regino Borobio in 1959, the extension of Alejandro de la Sota (1986) and consisting of three buildings, intended for the Magistracy (building A), Instructional Courts (buildings B and C) and Court of Guardia (building JG), joined by the ground floor as a base, and an extension of the Borobio building, attached to it.
De la Sota opted to reorganize the program to offer a clearer new order. The complementary dependencies are located in the old building and Magistratures and Courts of Instruction are grouped in autonomous pieces in the extension. A final block independent of the rest of the intervention contains the Police Headquarters, the Forensic Doctors clinic and the Court of Guardia. Thus, the new building takes the configuration of three isolated blocks communicated in the ground floor.
Las actuaciones pueden agruparse en tres tipos: las funcionales, que proceden del cambio de estructura administrativa, las normativas, que surgen de la necesidad de adaptar el edificio a la legislación actual, fundamentalmente, en cuestiones de protección contra incendios y accesibilidad, y las enfocadas al comfort de los usuarios y la sostenibilidad del edificio.
The activities can be grouped into three types: the functional, because of the change of the administrative structure, the legal, because of the need to adapt the building to the current regulation, fundamentally, in terms of fire protection and accessibility, and those focused on the comfort of the users and the sustainability of the building.
Location: Prudencio street. Zaragoza
Architects: Magen Arquitectos
Developer: Aragon Institute of Social Services
Area: 15.808,69 m2
1º prize in Projects Competition, 2017.